Dog Bite Litigation in New Jersey
Few things are more frightening than being attacked by a dog. Such an attack can leave the victim severely injured and traumatized. If the victim is a child, the injuries can be fatal. Many states have statutes which hold the owner of the dog strictly liable for the dog’s behavior if the attack is unprovoked; that is, the victim did nothing to threaten the dog or cause it to attack in self-defense. It makes no difference where the attack took place or if the attack is the first for the animal. In some states, the dog gets “one free bite”, meaning the owner is not presumed to know the dog is dangerous until an attack has occurred once.
Police Dog Bites
As an owner, there are steps you can take to minimize the possibility of your dog attacking someone:
- Spay or neuter your dog
- Do not teach your dog to play roughly
- Be sure your dog has up-to-date vaccinations
- Take your dog to obedience classes so it becomes accustomed to obeying voice commands
- Never leave babies or small children with a dog unless there is an adult with them
- Keep your dog in a fenced yard, do not allow it to roam
Basic safety tips include:
- Leave strange dogs alone
- Never approach any dog while it is eating, sleeping, or caring for puppies
- Never try to pet a dog until you have let it see you and smell you
- Never leave children alone with any dog
- Never be aggressive with a dog, stare it in the eye, or run from itIf a dog does attack, stay still
- If a dog knocks you down, roll into a ball to protect yourself
If you are attacked, seek help quickly. Try to find out who the owner is, but seek medical help first.
Contact The Law Office of James C. DeZao Today
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury as a result of Dog Bites, call The Law Office of James C. DeZao at (973) 358-6134. The initial consultation is free of charge, and if we agree to handle your case, we will work on a contingency fee basis, which means we get paid for our services only if there is a monetary recovery of funds. In many cases a lawsuit must be filed before an applicable expiration date, known as a statute of limitations.
Therefore, please call or fill out our contact form right awayto ensure that you do not waive your right to possible compensation.
Hundreds of Millions Recovered For Our Clients
Personalized Attention & Curated Legal Plans
Committed & Passionate Advocacy
Always Available & Accessible To Our Clients
Capable of Handling a Wide Variety of Case Types
Work Accident Case $2,000,000
Motor vehicle Accident $3,100,000
Drunk Driving Case $14,000,000
Drunk Driver Accident $14,100,000
Bus Accident $2,000,000
“He was very genuine from the outset, and I can’t say enough about how professional and knowledgeable he was.”- Ivan V.
“Always available to answer any questions that I had and explained the whole process to me.”- Nicole L.
“They have made my overall process less stressful. I would recommend this law firm to anyone.”- Marijana K.
“I am very pleased with all of your guidance and recommendations.”- S.T.