Hundreds of Millions Recovered For Our Clients
Personalized Attention & Curated Legal Plans
Committed & Passionate Advocacy
Always Available & Accessible To Our Clients
Capable of Handling a Wide Variety of Case Types
Parsippany Catastrophic Injury Attorney
Representing Victims of Catastrophic Injuries in New Jersey
When you are injured in an accident, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. However, if you suffer a catastrophic injury, you may be entitled to additional damages. Catastrophic injuries are those that are severe and life-altering. They often result in permanent disabilities and impairments. If you or someone you love has suffered a catastrophic injury, you need an experienced attorney on your side.
At The Law Offices Of James C. DeZao, P.A., we have been representing the injured for over 25 years. We understand the challenges you are facing and are prepared to hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions and maximize your entitled compensation.
Understanding Catastrophic Injuries
While the terms “catastrophic injury” and “serious injury” are often used interchangeably, they are not the same. A serious injury is one that is severe and requires extensive medical treatment. However, it does not necessarily result in permanent disabilities or impairments. A catastrophic injury, on the other hand, is one that is severe and life-altering. It often results in permanent disabilities and impairments.
In many cases, catastrophic injuries are the result of someone else’s negligence. When this is the case, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. Catastrophic injuries can occur in a wide range of accidents, including car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, slip and falls, and more.
Some of the most common types of catastrophic injuries include:
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can result in paralysis (paraplegia or quadriplegia), loss of sensation, and impaired bodily functions.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): These injuries occur due to a forceful impact on the head, leading to cognitive impairment, memory loss, altered personality, and physical disabilities.
- Severe Burn Injuries: Extensive burns can damage skin, muscles, and nerves, causing immense pain, disfigurement, and potential disabilities.
- Amputations: The loss of limbs due to accidents or medical procedures can significantly impact mobility and functionality.
- Multiple Fractures: Severe fractures affecting multiple bones can lead to chronic pain, reduced mobility, and long-term physical limitations.
- Organ Damage: Injuries causing severe damage to internal organs like the heart, lungs, liver, or kidneys can have life-threatening consequences and long-term health implications.
- Loss of Vision or Hearing: Catastrophic injuries affecting sight or hearing can significantly impact an individual's independence and quality of life.
- Crush Injuries: These occur when a body part is subjected to extreme pressure or force, leading to severe tissue damage, nerve injury, and potentially requiring amputation.
- Neurological Injuries: Conditions like severe nerve damage or neurological disorders resulting from trauma can lead to chronic pain, limited mobility, and loss of bodily function.
These injuries often require extensive medical treatment and ongoing care. In many cases, victims are unable to return to work and require in-home care or around-the-clock medical attention.
Common Damages from a Catastrophic Injury Claim
In a catastrophic injury claim, various types of damages can be sought to compensate the injured person for the losses and hardships they've endured due to the injury. Here are some common types of damages sought in such cases:
- Medical Expenses: This includes compensation for past, current, and future medical bills related to the injury. It covers hospitalization, surgeries, medication, rehabilitation, assistive devices, and ongoing therapy or care needed due to the injury.
- Lost Earnings: Compensation for the income lost due to the injury. This covers wages or salary that the injured person couldn’t earn because of the injury, including future earning potential if the injury has resulted in a long-term disability or inability to work.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental anguish caused by the injury. This type of compensation is subjective and aims to provide redress for the suffering experienced.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: Compensation for the reduction in the quality of life or the inability to participate in activities that were enjoyed prior to the injury. It includes hobbies, social activities, and other personal pursuits affected by the injury.
- Permanent Disability or Disfigurement: Damages awarded for permanent disabilities caused by the injury, including loss of limb, paralysis, or disfigurement, impacting the individual's life and livelihood.
- Home Modifications and Accommodations: Compensation for the cost of modifying the injured person's home or vehicle to accommodate their disability, such as wheelchair ramps, handrails, or adapted vehicles.
- Loss of Consortium: In some cases, damages may be awarded to the spouse or family for the loss of companionship, support, and intimacy due to the injured person's condition.
- Punitive Damages: These are awarded in cases of extreme negligence or intentional harm by the at-fault party to punish them and deter similar behavior in the future. They are not always awarded and are intended as a deterrent rather than compensation.
Legal Help for Catastrophic Injuries
When you suffer a catastrophic injury, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. However, these cases are often complex and require the help of an experienced attorney. At The Law Offices Of James C. DeZao, P.A., we have been representing the injured for over 25 years. We understand the challenges you are facing and are prepared to help you fight for the maximum compensation you are owed.
Work Accident Case $2,000,000
Motor vehicle Accident $3,100,000
Drunk Driving Case $14,000,000
Drunk Driver Accident $14,100,000
Bus Accident $2,000,000
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
“He was very genuine from the outset, and I can’t say enough about how professional and knowledgeable he was.”- Ivan V.
“Always available to answer any questions that I had and explained the whole process to me.”- Nicole L.
“They have made my overall process less stressful. I would recommend this law firm to anyone.”- Marijana K.
“I am very pleased with all of your guidance and recommendations.”- S.T.
Let Us Help You Move Forward