It's not very hard to become distracted by something other than the road when behind the wheel, especially when driving for a long time. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, nine people in the United States are killed daily in crashes involving a distracted driver. As a driver, it is important to avoid driving distractions as much as possible to protect the safety of you and anyone else who you may be sharing the road with.
Avoiding distractions can be a challenge to some drivers, but with these few tips, practicing safe driving habits and ignoring any distractions that may be present can be easier than you may think.
- Put Your Phone Away – Putting your phone on “do not disturb” and placing it in a bag in your passenger or backseat is a great way to reduce distractions your cell phone may cause.
- Set Your Navigation Before You Leave – If you need to plan your route or put an address in your GPS, do so before pulling off. If something needs to be adjusted mid-drive, pull over to a safe spot until you are ready to leave again.
- Avoid Eating or Drinking – Even when running late for work, try not to eat when driving. Maybe grab a light snack that can be eaten quickly once you safely arrive at your destination.
- Finish Grooming at Home – Putting on makeup or gelling your hair can be a significant distraction, even if you are at a stoplight. Giving yourself an extra 10 minutes before you leave can ensure you are completely ready before getting into the car.
- Making a Playlist – Changing a song or tuning your radio can also be a great distraction behind the wheel. To best prevent this from happening, it's always beneficial to make a playlist to turn on or tune to the correct radio station before pulling off.
Contact a Skilled Attorney
If you or someone you know has recently been involved in an accident that resulted in injuries due to the negligence of a distracted driver, you may be entitled to financial compensation. Here at The Law Offices Of James C. DeZao, we have a team of skilled attorneys dedicated to ensuring you get the justice you deserve. We will take care of the legalities of your accident when you take the time you need for a healthy recovery. Let us be your voice.
Contact us today at (973) 358-6134 or visit us onlineto schedule your free consultation.