Man laying on his stomach with his hands behind his back

It is a difficult job to be a police officer in New Jersey or anywhere else for that matter. However, not every police officer is on the up and up. Sadly, there are a handful of officers who might not follow the law, who might go one step too far, or who might use excessive force when dealing with suspects or anyone else they contact during the course of their shift. Police brutality is a serious problem plaguing this country. What happens when the police go too far? Can you file a lawsuit against the police for excessive force? Let the team from The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A. guide you in the right direction.

Collect Evidence

One of the most important things you should do if you believe you are the victim of police brutality or excessive force is to collect evidence. Simply making a claim will not be enough to convince the judge or jury that an officer overstepped their bounds or jurisdiction when dealing with you. 

Find video footage from a nearby security camera, speak to witnesses, obtain police reports, and take pictures of your injuries. If you were physically injured, be sure to seek medical care so you have documented proof when filing a police brutality lawsuit.

Speak to an Attorney

After you have been treated for any injuries you need to speak to an attorney as soon as possible. The police brutality attorneys at our firm have handled dozens of cases throughout New Jersey for clients who have made similar claims as you. We know what it takes to investigate such a claim and obtain the required evidence to help build a case for you against the officer in question.

Document Everything

You need to write down everything that happened not long after the incident since your memory of it is fresh. Waiting to write down what happened days, weeks, or months after the incident can lead to cloudy details about the incident. A civil rights lawsuit for police brutality will require a lot of evidence on your part in order to be successful. Therefore, having a handwritten account of what occurred can make it easier for you to recall the events of that day without harming your case.

Ask Your Doctor to Testify

Ask the doctor who treated you for the police brutality injuries to testify at your trial. Having an expert like a doctor testify will only improve your chances of winning the case. The doctor will be able to explain in detail the injuries you suffered, how you were treated, what your recovery has been like so far, and how the injuries will impact the rest of your life.

Have You Suffered Brutality at the Hands of the Police? Call an Attorney Today

If you or a loved one has suffered brutality at the hands of the police in New Jersey it is time to protect yourself by consulting with an attorney. An excessive force lawsuit is not out of the question and you wouldn’t be the first one filing it in the state.

 Contact The Law Offices of James C. DeZao, P.A. at your earliest convenience to discuss your case. Call our office at (973) 358-6134 today to schedule a consultation.

Related Posts
  • Understanding the Long-Term Impact of Traumatic Brain Injuries: A Legal Perspective Read More
  • What Is My Personal Injury Case Worth? Read More
  • Why You Need a Personal Injury Attorney Read More